I’ve been particularly pleased to see an increase in theatre in English in Paris over the last few years. There’s great stand up now with So Gymnase, there was the fabulous first Paris Fringe Festival back in May and now there are these NEW The Improvised Musical performances starting October 4th.
What makes these shows so unique is that the audience is involved in each show by providing a title, location and plot twists. Then with these prompts the musicians compose songs on the spot, an illustrator draws, projects images and designs the set in real time, then of course there are the actors/singers who dance, create lyrics and invent characters — all based on your suggestions.
The NEW team is made up of 10 professional artists from the United States, England, France and Germany. It roots date back to 2003 when Florian Bartsch and his Anglophone troupe, The Improfessionals, created “The Sound of Impro” an improvised musical. The show played in Paris as well as at several International improvisation festivals. Then in 2010, Bartsch and saxophonist Peter Corser created the Yellowstone submarine improvised singing workshops.
Fresh from this experience he invented the concept of NEW, the improvised musical. In the summer of 2011 Bartsch auditioned over 100 professional artists from various backgrounds: theatrical improv, musical theatre, opera, illustration/comics, jazz, classical and contemporary music, world music and “chanson française.”
The first performance took place in Paris at Théâtre de la Reine Blanche in May 2012. Since then, the troupe has appeared in different Parisian theatres (Théâtre Trévise, MPAA Saint Germain) and throughout the region and country. And now they are back with this NEW show concept.
To celebrate the new show Je T’Aime, Me Neither and NEW The Improvised Musical are teaming up to give away FOUR sets of two tickets for their inaugural show on October 4th. All you need to do is the following:
- To get your name in our draw once, like the Je T’Aime, Me Neither Facebook post about the event (here is a direct link)… and then…
- Like the Je T’Aime, Me Neither Facebook page here and the NEW The Improvised Musical page here (if you already like these pages, great! You will still be included as long as you’ve liked the Facebook post about the contest) – this only takes a minute
- To double your chances to win, sign up for the Je T’Aime, Me Neither newsletter here and the NEW The Improvised Musical here
- Enter by 8 pm Paris time (2 pm EST) on Sunday September 25th.
- We will cross reference the lists/likes and draw the four lucky winners which will be announced and contacted on Monday September 26th.