The Sexy Side of SoPi
One of the hippest neighborhoods in Paris, SoPi, or South Pigalle, has seen a gradual gentrification over the last ten years. However, this once sleepy and somewhat grungy part of Paris blossomed as the bohemian hub of the city during the early 19th century. Then called La Nouvelle Athènes, it was popular with the artists, musicians, writers and politicians of the Romantic Era. It was also where you could find “Lorettes”… young kept women, the birth of the area’s naughtiness.
As we climb the hill we will explore how the oh la la nature of the area rose throughout the century, reaching a climax in the Belle Epoque, when cafés and cabarets exploded. We’ll discuss the area’s decline through the 20th century and then its recent revival as one of the top nightlife centers of the city. We will experience this firsthand by finishing up with a cocktail in one of the trendy bars which have taken over the area’s former girlie bars. This will give us an opportunity to give other tips on restaurants, bars and romantic things to do in Paris.
Why Choose This Tour:
- Perfect tour repeat visitors
- Get off the beaten track
- Learn about Romantic Era, the Belle Epoque and Contemporary Paris
- Discover Hip, Local Hangouts
- Personalised recommendations for your trip
- Duration: 2.5 hours (including cocktail stop at end)
- Price: 275 euros, private tour for two people (up to 5 extra participants possible at small additional fee to cover drinks)
- Multiple tour discount: Book 2 or more tours and get 10% off all tours
- Meeting Point: Near Notre Dame de Lorette Church, 75009 Paris (Exact address provided with booking confirmation.
- Inclusions: A few romantic photos with my or your camera. One drink/person.
Please contact me by email at jetaimemeneither AT SIGN gmail.com with your requested date and number of participants and I will get back to you to confirm